In a Conveyance dated 8th October 1921, The Right Honourable George Montague, Earl of Tankerville gifted land to Trustees for Comrades of The Great War in perpetuity “for the benefit, recreation and welfare of men who have served in the Navy, Army or Air Force”.
A further extract from the conveyance states “Beneficial owner hereby conveys unto the purchasing Trustees that piece or parcel of land situate abutting on the way to Wooler Road on the north and on hereditaments belonging to the Vendor on the East and on Wooler Water on the West and by hereditaments belonging to the Vendor on the South extending to half an acre or thereabouts”.
It was decided to create a bowling green on the gifted land and in 1925 the first games of bowls were played on the newly laid green. Wooler Bowling Club has been providing recreational bowling for the local community of Wooler and its environs since that date.
In 1958 land was purchased by the then Trustees from The British Transport Commission, described as “the portion of land running parallel with the old railway track”. This enabled the bowling green to be extended to six rinks and the enlarged green was officially opened in May 1963.
Wooler Bowling Club is affiliated to Bowls Northumberland and Bowls England. The men play in the North Northumberland Bowls League, which the Club won in seasons 2011 and 2012. We have a large programme of friendly matches with other clubs and internal competitions as well as Club Nights every Monday evening. Visitors are always very welcome. Wooler Bowling Club continues to thrive and makes its facilities available for local groups. Our bowling green by Wooler Water is acknowledged to have one of the finest surfaces for playing bowls in Northumberland. More information about the Bowling Club and the facilities it provides for members and the local community are detailed in our Mission Statement and General Information included on this website.